вторник, 22 ноября 2011 г.

My favorite books


  In my previous blog, I wrote about books. But now I would like to talk about my favorite books!
   Well, I never judge a book by its cover and I don’t care if a book is written by women or men.  I prefer going to book shops or to the library and leaf through the pages and if I find the book interesting, I buy it. I like different genres: detective stories, novels, short stories, science fiction and so on. It depends on my mood. Some of my favorite books are Guy de Maupassant "Dear Friend", Stephen King «The Shining», Remarque "Three Comrades" and "Triumphal Arch"… The last book that I read was «Sister Carrie» by Theodore Dreiser and I liked it very much.



   The story takes place at first in Chicago and then in New York. The main character is 18-year-old Caroline "Sister Carrie»  Miber. Dissatisfied with life in her native small town of Columbia City, she takes the train to Chicago, where her older sister Minnie, and her husband Sven Hanson, agreed to take her in. Carrie soon embarks on a quest for work to pay rent to her sister and her husband, and takes a job running a machine in a shoe factory. But she lost it because of illness. To find a new place was not easy, and Kerry was already in despair when once again she met Charles Drouet – a charming salesman of a large firm (she met him on the train and she was attracted to him). He persuaded the girl to move from family and live with him. He gives her everything what she wanted. But soon she got tired of this relationship…Drouet introduces Kerry to George Hurstwood – the owner of bar, and Hurstwood begins to care for her, hoping for reciprocity. Although he was married, he could’t stop thinking about her…Well, the plot of this story is very confusing and its end is too unexpected. If you are interested in it, I advise you to read it!
    To sum it up, I want to say that I can’t imagine our lives without books. We learn a lot of interesting things when we read books. Books are our great friends and teachers.

3 комментария:

  1. oh, i like Guy de Maupassant "Dear Friend" very much!! I really was surprised by this book)

    ОтветитьУдалить
  2. Liza, I like your post very much! It has lots of interesting things, and it's easy to follow. Besides this, I find that a book «Sister Carrie» by Theodore Dreiser has a gripping plot)

    ОтветитьУдалить
  3. Liza, thanks to you, because now I am bursting with a desire to read more books of this famous American writer Theodore Dreiser whose novels give us bright scene from life of American society.

    ОтветитьУдалить